Tuesday 29 January 2013

Liverpool in Photos



New colourful Winter socks, traveling to Liverpool, What's Cooking?, The Classic Rock Show, Sightseeing in the town, the Titanic and Liverpool: The Untold Story exhibition at the Maritime Museum, Elvis Presley monument beside the 'Elvis and Us' Beatles exhibition, Our final evening at the Crowne Plaza Hotel

I'm finally back from Liverpool, and I'm a very happy girl! Apologies for the short break in blog posts over the weekend, I've been really busy these past few days and I've definitely been enjoying my first ever trip to Liverpool. Let me run you by how my weekend went down!

On Friday evening Billy and I left my house in Worcester to travel down to my family home in the countryside, where we stayed for the night in preparation to leave early the next morning (and I mean early, I'm talking 5am!) so, on Saturday morning, after making sure we had everything completely packed, we set off to catch a 7:57am train. Unfortunately we had to take a detour on the way there because of an early-morning-run-in involving two cars had blocked off the road. Not a great start to any morning! So, braving the snowy country roads, we made our way to the station at about 10mph... Which resulted in us being very late. Rushing to the ticket machine as soon as we pulled the car up we had to wait in a queue and for our tickets to print! This resulted in us racing across the longest bridge ever to jump on the train which was less than 10 seconds away from pulling off from the station (I'm not over-exaggerating!)

So you guessed it, a bit of a mad start to our weekend away - despite leaving the house on time. However, once we'd settled down on the train and caught our breath, we could finally look forward to a relaxing weekend in a new city. Settling down with my Nexus 7, a Starbucks, and my feet on a little radiator, the 3 hour journey to Liverpool began.

Once we arrived, we stopped off at The Liverpool pub for a traditional English Breakfast (Fry Up) which was warmly welcomed after the lengthy journey! Beans, sausage, bacon, egg, mushrooms... the works! It was lovely and definitely made up for the mad rush earlier. If you're reading from anywhere other than England and haven't tried one before, I highly recommend it. Best way to start the day!

After breakfast, we went straight on to the Crowne Plaza Hotel (which had a gorgeous lobby) we dropped off our bags and headed straight for the pool. Billy and I spent most of our time in the jacuzzi though! I still swear they're one of the best inventions made... After a good swim and relax in the jacuzzi, steam room and sauna (all day!) we got ourselves ready for an evening out.

We went for a meal at What's Cooking? (Check them out here) Which was honestly one of the loveliest meals I've ever had! What's Cooking? is an American Diner style restaurant, with a rustic, warm twist. I had a starter of Chicken Strips, followed by a small mushroom Florentine burger, and a slice of cake for dessert. Guilty or what! But hey, it was a weekend away after a busy semester at university (that's my excuse anyway!)
After our meal, we took a taxi to the Liverpool Philharmonic Hall (Check to see what they've got on here) to go to see The Classic Rock Show. Let me tell you - it was a brilliant show! All the performers were exceedingly talented, and enjoyed every second of being up on stage, which shone right through, playing songs such as The Chain by Fleetwood Mac, More Than A Feeling by Boston and Free Bird by Lynyrd Skynyrd. Although my camera didn't focus as well as I'd hoped when I was taking a few photographs, the memories will last a lifetime!

Saturday was such a brilliant day, when we woke up on Sunday, we could barely believe it was the day we were going home. There was still so much more we really wanted to get around to seeing! So, at around 10am we went down to the hotel's restaurant for breakfast, then straight out sight-seeing in Liverpool - which we definitely needed to dress up warm for because it was so cold and windy right next to the Mersey! I donned my big coat, woolly hat, scarf and gloves of course!
So we've wanted to visit the Merseyside Maritime Museum now for a while (Have a look here!) so I was really excited to finally get the opportunity, especially since they had an exhibition called The Titanic and Liverpool: The Untold Story. I've always been fascinated by the story of the Titanic (a little morbid, I know) so to find out so much more about it here was amazing, I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. I can't imagine any other exhibition focusing on the Titanic having much more information on the topic that this museum did - it was brilliant. There was also a short one-man (or rather, woman!) performance about what it was like to be a part of the W.R.E.N.S. during the war, which was equally as fascinating. (It also turns out the uniforms aren't too far from what we call fashionable these days!)

After a little more sight-seeing (and coming across an Elvis Presley monument in relation to the 'Elvis and Us' Beatles exhibition) we headed back to the hotel for a drink and to collect our bags ready for the journey home. After 4.5 hours of traveling home (I'll save the details on how our train from Chester was cancelled and how I almost broke my ankle) we finally made it back after a whirlwind weekend.

This past weekend has been truly amazing, and I've thoroughly loved it. Next time I visit, I look forward to having a go on the Yellow Duckmarine and discovering what more Liverpool has to offer!

Have you visited Liverpool before? If so, where would you recommend checking out?

No comments:

Post a Comment